Your subconscious mind:
• Acts like a young child: Similar to a young child, your subconscious mind needs clear, detailed directions and lots of reminders. It takes instructions literally, so be sure to give it specific, positive guidance.
• Communicates through emotion and symbols: To get your attention quickly, your subconscious mind uses feelings, imagery and symbols. It’s your job to discern what they mean.
• Deals with positives only: Negative words like “don’t,” “no” or “not” are largely ignored by your subconscious mind. For this reason, it is better to say, “I am going to improve my health by avoiding smoking” as opposed to “I don’t want to smoke.” You can also use creative imaging to center your mind on positive thoughts.
Because your subconscious mind has a pervasive influence on your life, you can actively harness its power and direct its influence in positive, life-giving ways by:
• Expressing yourself artistically: Artistic endeavors such as coloring, drawing or painting make use of your subconscious by allowing your creativity to surface and making space for the expression of your true feelings. Because the goal is to tap into your subconscious mind, you don’t need to be a great artist, just open to the creative process.
• Rehearsing desired outcomes: A great way to program a new activity, skill or thought into your subconscious mind is to rehearse it and repeat it until it takes root. Similar to the countless songs and jingles lodged in your subconscious, you can rehearse new attitudes, ideas, outcomes and thoughts that you want to become reality. By frequently repeating out loud what you want, you aid your subconscious mind in catching on and helping you achieve your desired outcomes.
• Reviewing before bed: A great way to learn new material, such as exam material, goals, presentations or speeches, is to review it right before you go to sleep. Doing so helps transfer the content to your subconscious, putting it at the forefront of your mind as you drift off to sleep, and potentially influencing the content of your dreams.